Shingeki no Kyojin (進撃の巨人) is a manga series created by Isayama Hajime, who is both the author and illustrator.
The title has a dual meaning. The literal meaning is "Advancing Titan(s)" (or more literally"Advancing Giant(s)"). However in Japanese, it can also be taken as "Advance Toward the Titan(s)" which is what the localized title resembles: Attack on Titan.
The setting is a fortified city with three walls built fifty meters high and arranged in large concentric circles. This is the last bastion for all that remains of humanity; more specifically Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman and Armin Arlelt. As part of the military, they are charged with protecting the populace even if it costs them their lives.
PrequelEditVertical maneuvering equipment. The second and third books chronicle the mysterious origins and life of a boy named Kyukuro and his struggle to be accepted by the townspeople after being found as a baby in the remains of a titan.
There is yet to be any news about a North American release date or an english translation.
Started in 2009, it is serialized in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine and is currently in its ninth volume. Since its serialization, it has become a best seller in both Japan, and the United States. The popularity has also inspired a more comical spin-off called Shingeki! Kyojin Chūgakkō. A live action film is in the works, set for a release of fall 2013 but was pushed back to 2014 due to the director quiting the project in late December 2012
- ↑ http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=47446
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2012-first-half
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=12308
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-06/new-york-times-manga-best-seller-list-june-24-30
- ↑ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=14298